Joel Carnegie is a multi-award winning Australian personality and presenter – known for his high-energy, passion for stories and steadfast curiosity.
As an ABC Presenter and current host of Music in Time, Joel has long danced a tightrope between radio, theatre, screen and music making – as a presenter/interviewer, actor, writer, musician, cultural activator and documentary feature-maker.
Over the past few years, he’s worked with the ABC, Audible, American Public Media, BBC, CBC, Deutsche Welle and others on a raft of features, documentaries, podcasts, programs – even the odd radio musical! But at the heart of his work is storytelling – and a drive to hold up a mirror to our changing world.
Joel has been nominated for and has won numerous awards including:
- “Best Announcer Presentation” and a silver best “History” program at the New York Festivals International Radio Awards 2018 for his documentary Fairy Investigation Society [ABC Radio National]
- Finalist, “Presenter of the Year”, Australian LGBTI Awards 2018
- “Best Performance By An Actor” and “Best Innovation” at the New York Festivals International Radio Awards 2017 – for his ABC radio cabaret show, Stardust: The Col Brain Story
- Top 5 Finalist, Whicker's World Foundation Audio Recognition Awards 2017 – for his radio documentary The Grind [ABC Radio National]
- Highly Commended Finalist, Whicker's World Foundation Audio Recognition Awards 2016 – for his feature From Music Into Silence [ABC Radio National]
Joel’s intrepid pursuit of a great yarn has drawn him around the world and back again – into outback Australia, to the remote Faroe Islands, to the South Pacific and beyond.
Music and storytelling has always been the fire in Joel’s belly, with his professional experience backed up by Bachelor of Music (awarded with Honours) and a Master of Arts (Media & Communications). His multi-award winning cabaret show “Stardust” – a deeply moving portrayal of his grandfather's secret life – played to packed houses in 2016, with the show set to tour in 2019, with Joel’s production enterprise, The Space Company.
Joel is a tried-and-true pro – with a nose for a good story, an ear out for good tunes and an insatiable appetite for creativity and storytelling.